Social Distancing: An Effective Measure against Covid-19
In the light of the fast-changing circumstances around the spread of the novel CoVid 19, the Jamiatul Ulama South Africa continues to engage medical experts, scholars and other stakeholders. It has emerged that Social Distancing is the most effective measure in restricting the spread of the disease.
The Jamiatul Ulama South Africa is urging the community to:
• Immediately terminate all non-essential social functions, engagements and events;
• Minimise the time spent in visiting shopping centres and other public places;
• Utilise alternative means of communication in order to reduce physical interaction;
• Congregations for Salatul Janazah and gathering for purposes of Nikāh should be at a bare minimum; and,
• Where physical interaction is necessary, a minimum of one-metre distance between persons is recommended.
It is clear that the observance of Social Distancing, as a preventative measure, has a direct impact on the way we congregate for our Salāh. As masājid remain open in the interim for all Salāh, the Jamiatul Ulama South Africa strongly urges our community to adhere to the following guidelines on Social Distancing:
• Anyone diagnosed with, or suspecting to have the disease, are forbidden to enter public spaces, including the masjid;
• The elderly (60+), children and the immune-compromised are urged to perform Salāh at home;
• Congregations should be made up of as few persons as possible;
• Multiple venues for Salāh and/or a rotational congregation structure must be introduced;
• All ablution facilities at masājid must be shut down;
• Salāh and related observances must be concluded within a minimum duration;
• All Sunnah and Nawāfil Salāh must be performed at home;
• Constant communication with stakeholders is an imperative; and,
• Crowd control measures are strongly advised.
Please refer to our previous notices for other pertinent pieces of information. The Jamiatul Ulama South Africa will advise accordingly, should circumstances demand a review of the recommendations made thus far.
We are all exhorted to increase our devotion to Allah Ta’aala and assist each other in times of need.
E.I. Bham (Moulana)
18 March 2020